From Kay Garson nee Tripcony.
ALEXANDRA HALL/Picture Theatre. The original hall, then owned by R. A. Evans-my Grandad- burned down on 23rd June 1937. Mr & Mrs Marshall were proprietors and tenants residing in the attached flat. It was rebuilt and used for dances and other gatherings during World War II. When I was growing up “Manny” Riddle owned the Movie Theatre. For 2/-[two shillings] I could buy a ticket to the movies, buy a 3d [three penny] ice cream cone and a small packet of “Eta” salted peanuts. I shall not embarrass myself or many others by relating stories of what went “on” In the back rows of the movies”
Businesses that have been at 115 Archer Street from Colleen Coop
Sinclair Reality (about 1982 sold to Doug Nichols)
Andrew Rae Solicitor about 1982
Crawford Security Screens
Stanley River Valley Church
Dianne Fraser Scrapbooking and Gifts
Podiatrist ? to 2020
Between us Girls (Sharon Hickey) 2021
- 2019 seen the commencement of the Woodford Historical Society’s research into the houses, commercial businesses and community buildings that have been in Durundur/Woodford since the Archer Brothers arrived in 1841.
- Can you help?
- Do you have knowledge of previous owners of your house?
- Do you have photos of your house you’d like to share?
- Do you have any old documentation relating to your house?
- Can you remember who ran businesses that are no longer around?
- Where you involved in a community group? Where did it meet?
- WHO-WHAT-WHERE We are going to try and piece it all together!
- email us at email@example.com
- or phone 0429899115 if you are able to help out.