Sawmilling at Durundur Street Woodford 1911 to 1922
From Mick & Cheryl Duggan (nee Fredin)
Anders Fredin (Jolly) was born on the 25.12.1872, in Satila Sweden, the second son of Anders Jakobson and Johanna Jakobson. He had a brother Johannes (1870) and a sister Emma (1877). He was educucated in Sweden, and later gained his engineering degree in Lapland. He and his brother both served in the Swedish army for a time. Both being rather outspoken on political matters, they were both advised to leave Sweden. Perhaps there was an ‘or else’ in there and as they didn’t like the ‘or else’ they both left.
Johannes migrated to Minnesota USA and became very successful in the raspberry farming industry. Anders migrated to Australia and was quite successful in the timber industry. Somewhere about this time he dumped his surname and adopted the name Fredin. Only he can answer the question of origin.
Anders first job in Australia was construction a road from the coast to Chillagoe in North Queensland. He then found his way to the Caboolture and Woodford area taking up residence in Woodford. in 1910 he opened his first sawmill in Woodford on the western bank of the One Mile Creek approximently where the house owned by Fay English now stands (7 Durundur Street). It’s first day of operation was Friday the 13th of November 1910. In 1911 he married Alice Butler, the youngest of 6 children to Frederick and Alice Butler. Together they raised 5 children, William, Evelyn, Elsie, Gordon and Dorothy. They set up home in the old Queenslander on the corner of Durundur and Leichhardt Streets which still stands today. Sadly Alice never lived to see her children married. She passed away on the 8th of May 1935 aged 45 years.
In 1922 the sawmill burnt down, perhaps down but not out, Anders crossed the One Mile Creek and built a new mill on the site which is now and has been since about 1960 Grants Sawmill. (See Fredin.Grant ).